Social Class Quiz
This quiz is based upon Ruby Payne's book "A Framework for Understanding Poverty".
Answer yes or no to each of the following questions.
- ______ 1. I know which churches and sections of town have the best rummage sales.
- ______ 2. I know which rummage sales have “bag sales”and when.
- ______ 3. I know which grocery stores’garbage bins can be accessed for thrown-away food.
- ______ 4. I know how to get someone out of jail.
- ______ 5. I know how to physically fight and defend myself physically.
- ______ 6. I know how to get a gun, even if. I have a police record.
- ______ 7. I know how to keep my clothes from being stolen at the Laundromat.
- ______ 8. I know what problems to look for in a used car.
- ______ 9. I know how to live without a checking account.
- ______ 10. I know how to live without electricity and a phone.
- ______ 11. I know how to use a knife as scissors.
- ______ 12. I can entertain a group of friends with my personality and my stories.
- ______ 13. I know what to do when. I don’t have money to pay the bills.
- ______ 14. I know how to move in half a day.
- ______ 15. I know how to get and use food stamps or an electronic card for benefits.
- ______ 16. I know where the free medical clinics are.
- ______ 17. I am very good at trading and bartering.
- ______ 18. I can get by without a car.
Score 5 points for each yes in questions 1-18. Total points for questions 1-18: _____________ .
- ______ 19. I know how to get my children into Little League, piano lessons, soccer, etc.
- ______ 20. I know how to set a table properly.
- ______ 21. I know which stores are most likely to carry the clothing brands my family wears.
- ______ 22. My children know the best name brands in clothing.
- ______ 23. I know how to order in a nice restaurant.
- ______ 24. I know how to use a credit card, checking account, and savings account,
and I understand an annuity. I understand term life insurance,
disability insurance, and 20/80 medical insurance policy,
as well as house insurance, flood insurance, and replacement insurance.
- ______ 25. I talk to my children about going to college.
- ______ 26. I know how to get one of the best interest rates on my new-car loan.
- ______ 27. I understand the difference among the principal, interest, and escrow statements on my house payment.
- ______ 28. I know how to help my children with their homework and do not hesitate to call the school if I need additional information.
- ______ 29. I know howto decorate the house for the different holidays.
- ______ 30. I know how to get a library card.
- ______ 31. I know how to use most of the tools in the garage.
- ______ 32. I repair items in my house almost immediately when they break
or know a repair service and call it.
Score three points for each yes in questions 19-32. Total points for questions 19-32: _____________ .
- ______ 33. I can read a menu in French, English, and anotherlanguage.
- ______ 34. I have several favorite restaurants in different countries of the world.
- ______ 35. During the holidays,. I know how to hire a decorator to identify the appropriate themes and items with which to decorate the house.
- ______ 36. I know who my preferred financial advisor, legal service, designer, domestic-employment service, and hairdresser are.
- ______ 37. I have at least two residences that are staffed and maintained.
- ______ 38. I know how to ensure confidentiality and loyalty from my domestic staff.
- ______ 39. I have at least two or three “screens”that keep people whom. I do not wish to see away from me.
- ______ 40. I fly in my own plane or the company plane.
- ______ 41. I know how to enroll my children in the preferred private schools.
- ______ 42.. I know how to host the parties that “key”peopleattend.
- ______ 43.. I am on the boards of at least two charities.
- ______ 44.. I know the hidden rules of the Junior League.
- ______ 45.. I support or buy the work of a particular artist.
- ______ 46.. I know how to read a corporate financial statement and analyze my own financial statements.
Score one point for each yes in questions 33-46. Total points for questions 46: _____________ .
Add together all your points
____________ Questions 1-18
____________ Questions 19-32
____________ Questions 33-46
____________ Divide total by 46.
Back to the Daily Record.
Back to the class web-page.