Reading Exercise #8
Due 5:00 PM, Tuesday March 9, 2015
for Chapter 7.7.3 (pp 357-367) of the Scott Text.
Content of reading exercise #8
- What is the advantage of automatic garbage collection? Are there any disadvantages?
- Explain how reference counting works?
- How does the mark and sweep process work?
- In what way is the stop and copy mechanism more efficient than mark and sweep?
- Are there some disadvantages to the stop and copy approach? If so, what are they?
- Describe how generational garbage collection works.
- Explain how it's possible to run mark and sweep without being able to find pointers?