HW 2: Freedom of Speech and the Internet
Assigned: 3 October 2012. Due: 10 October 2012 at 18:30
|Mailing List: Please Sign up here
for the class mailing list if you have not yet done so.
- Write an essay, not to exceed 300 words, on one of
the following topics. In each case, be sure to specify
your sources (your bibliographic citations are not included in
the 300-word limit). Your essay should summarize the topic
objectively in your own words, and then state your position.
- The 1987 supreme court case Hazelwood School District v Kuhlmeier.
- The 1998 Child Online Protection Act (COPA), and its history
from enactment to the present day.
- The Communications Decency Act (CDA) of 1996, and the 1997
supreme court case Reno v.
American Civil Liberties Union that challenged it.
Submit your essay using the dropbox
- Propose two or three ethical problems for your CS
305 presentation and term paper. I will probably assign
one of these problems
to you. Propose your problem on the D2L website. It's OK
for your formulation of the problem to be loosely defined at
this point; you will need to do more research before you can
come up with a crisp problem statement. But be sure to
identify an ethical problem rather than just a topic.