Students: Bart Massey
Here is a sample of the students Bart is working with
currently and has worked with in the past at Portland State.
This list is not kept up-to-date at all.
Undoubtedly, crucial people have been missed. If you think
you should be on this list, drop me some email and I'll add
Current Doctoral Students
- Deen Bhuricha Sethanandha is working on patch management
in open source projects. He hopes to complete his Ph.D. in
- Rob Stites is working on open source tools for forensic
image processing. He is currently on leave from the
Ph.D. program, partly to pursue a business venture I
instigated and am invoved in around breath alcohol measurement.
- Josh Triplett is a Ph.D. student of Prof. Jonathan
Walpole with whom I work closely. He expects to
complete his Ph.D. in 2011.
Current Masters Students
- Ian Romanick is working on performance of software-based
rendering of textures in 3D graphics. He expects to complete
his M.S. in 2011.
- Julian Kongslie is a student I work closely with. He is
currently starting as a M.S. student with Dr. Ivan
Sutherland. They are working on tools for a novel
asynchronous parallel hardware architecture.
- Josh Dorothy is working with me on a (currently)
non-thesis project involving the NetPBM suite of tools.
- Jim Larson is working with me and a couple of other
students on a (currently) non-thesis project involving the
design and programming of high-performance digital radios.
Current Undergraduate Students
- Hong Quach expects to complete his CS Honors Thesis with me
in 2011. He is working on Web Application User
Past Doctoral Students
- Robert Bauer is Prof. Jim Hook's student,
but has been a close collaborator, colleague, and friend of mine
for many years. He is working on formal models of program
memory and concurrent execution. He is currently on leave
from the Ph.D. program.
- Prof. Su Hui Chiang's student Sangsuree
Vasupongayya worked on search algorithms
for declarative supercomputer scheduling. She started as my
Ph.D. student, and we worked jointly on her dissertation
for much of its duration. Sangsuree defended
- Mathematics Ph.D. student (jointly with Mathematics
Prof. Gerardo Laferriere)
Anca Williams worked on control theory and
applications. She defended in 2007.
Past Masters Students
- Judy Fischbach graduated with a non-thesis M.S. in
2011. She hopes to complete some joint work with myself and
Prof. Nirupama Bulusu on 802.11-based localization this year.
- Gursharn Khatra worked on machine
learning for classification of mass spectrometry data. He
defended his thesis in 2006.
- Mark Heller defended
his thesis on virtual world ontology development in 2005.
Past Undergraduate Students
- Jamey Sharp has been a
long-running collaborator of Bart's on a huge variety of
projects. He graduated in 2006.
- Mick Thomure has worked with Bart on
projects in machine learning and web infrastructure.
He got his undergraduate degree in 2006, and is currently
working on a Ph.D. with Prof. Melanie Mitchell.
- Emma Kuo and James LaMar have worked
with Bart on the MINT parser generator for the Nickle
programming language, among many other projects. They
graduated in 2006.